Smoked Sausage Skillet Cassoulet
This stovetop version of the French country classic is hearty and sophisticated,
yet boasts ingredients that you probably have on hand.
Serve with spicy mustard, cornbread and a citrus salad.
- 1 smoked pork sausage (kielbasa), about 12-16 ounces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 15-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned croutons
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In large heavy skillet, sauté onion and garlic in oil over medium-high heat;
stir in apple, herbs, tomatoes, beans, broth and tomato paste. Stir to blend well.
- Add sausage. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 20-30
minutes until thoroughly heated.
- Serve topped with croutons and chopped parsley.
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Servings: 6
Nutrition Information: Calories: 540 calories Protein: 25 grams Fat: 27 grams
Sodium: 1810 milligrams Cholesterol: 40 milligrams Saturated Fat: 7 grams Carbohydrates:
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.