"Happy" Pork Chops
A traditional Mexican dish, with ingredients common in everyone's pantry.
Serve with corn tortillas.
- 6 pork blade steaks, (1/2-3/4-inch thick), seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn oil OR olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno chiles, minced
- 1 cup beer or water
- 2 cups chicken broth, or water
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in large skillet; add pork. Sear pork on both sides on medium-high heat
just until brown, about 1 minutes on each side.
- Remove from skillet and cover loosely with foil.
- Add garlic and onions to skillet. Cook and stir until tender, about 2 minutes,
scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Add rice, stirring constantly until rice just begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, jalapeño chiles, beer and broth or water. Bring to boil; cover.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place pork on top of rice; cover. Simmer for 8 or 9 minutes until internal temperature
on a thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired.
15 min prep | 25 min cook | Makes 6 servings
Chicken broth or water may be substituted for the beer in this recipe. If using
water only, additional salt and pepper may be needed.
Nutrition: Calories: 590 calories Protein: 30 grams Fat: 24 grams Sodium:
570 milligrams Cholesterol: 94 milligrams Saturated Fat: 7 grams Carbohydrates:
59 grams Fiber: 1 grams
Recipe and photo credit: National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com