Pork Chops with Caramelized Apples
- 4 pork chops, 1 1/2-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried thyme
- 1 1/2
teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large tart apples, cored, peeled and cut into wedges
- Pat chops dry.
- In small bowl mix together thyme, pepper and salt; season both sides of chops;
- In large heavy skillet melt the butter with the sugar over moderately high heat;
add the apples and sauté for 30 to 40 minutes, until apples begin to brown.
- Turn apples, and cook for 5 minutes more, until they are golden brown and the
sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Heat another heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brush with a little vegetable
oil. Add chops and brown on onside, about 4 minutes; turn and brown other side,
4 minutes more. Keep turning chops every couple of minutes until just done (internal
temperature will reach 155 degrees F). Total cooking time for chops will be around
14 to 18 minutes.
- Serve chops with apples.
Wine recommendation: Serve with a chilled dry Riesling or a Gewurztraminer.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.