Smothered Pork Chops
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (3/4-inch thick) pork chops
- All-purpose flour
- Hot bacon drippings
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced and seeded
- Combine sugar, salt and pepper; rub mixture onto both sides of pork
chops. Coat chops well with flour.
- Fry in 1/4 inch of hot bacon
drippings in a large heavy skillet until browned on both sides;
remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion and green bell pepper; sauté until just tender.
- Return chops to skillet. Add lemon slices and water to come 1/2
inch up sides of pan. Cover and simmer over low heat 1 to 1 1/2
hours, or until very tender, adding additional water if necessary.