Citrus Chili Pork Roast
For sensitive diners, eliminate half crushed chile or jalapeno. Do not eliminate
all, as results will not be as intended. This dish can also be served cold on sandwiches.
- 1 fresh orange (juice and skin)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon crushed chile flakes 15 mL
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 teaspoon
black pepper, freshly ground 5 mL
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt 5 mL
- 1 teaspoon granulated
sugar 5 mL
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 2 pound leg of pork or roast, deboned 1kg
- Salt and
pepper to taste
- Peel orange, discard white skin and chop peel into small pieces. Squeeze orange
and reserve juice.
- In food processor, blend together orange peel, reserved juice, garlic, chile
flakes, canola oil, pepper, salt, sugar and jalapeno pepper until ingredients form
- To prepare pork, make incisions into leg or roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover with orange paste and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C). Place the pork on rack in roasting
pan. Add 1 cup (250 mL) water.
- Roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees
F (70 degrees C). Wait 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 270 Fat 12g Saturated Fat 3g Cholesterol
90mg Sodium 350mg Carbohydrates 4g Fibre <1g Protein 35g
Source: Guadalupe Garcia-de-Leon
Recipe and photo credit: