Cherry Cola Ribs
Easy-to-follow Cherry Cola Ribs recipe.
- 5 pounds baby back ribs
- 2 liters cola
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar maraschino
cherries (without stems)
- 1-2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Optional: 2-4 tablespoons
- Ribs: Flip the ribs bone side up and insert a dinner knife just under the
white membrane that covers the meat and bones. Gently peel the membrane off.
- Place ribs in a baking dish or roasting pan and pour the cola over it. Cover
with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Remove the ribs from the cola. Reserve the cola for the sauce.
- Pat the ribs dry with paper towels and season liberally with salt and pepper
on both sides.
- Pour the cola into a saucepan, wipe off the baking dish or roasting pan and
return the ribs to the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 3 - 3 1/2 hours or
until meat is very tender.
- When the ribs have finished cooking in the oven, remove and turn the heat up
to 500 degrees F or use the broiler on high. Place ribs on baking sheet, bone
side down, and brush with the sauce liberally over the top.
- Cook or broil for about 5 minutes, watching to make sure the sauce does not
- Sauce: Puree the maraschino cherries with the juice in a blender or small
food processor. Add to the cola in the saucepan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of chili garlic sauce, the mustard, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon
of both salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil and continue to boil, uncovered until the liquid
reduces down to about 1 cup and is very thick. Skim the foam off the top of the
mixture occasionally and stir once in a while.
- When the mixture is reduced, taste it - you may want to add more chili garlic
for a spicier sauce or brown sugar if you like it sweeter. Also check to see if
you want more salt or pepper.
By Carol Kicinski at Simply Gluten-Free
Reprinted with permission from
National Cherry Growers.