Mediterranean Back Ribs with Pomegranate Sauce
Grilled pork ribs painted with a savory pomegranate sauce. Serve with cucumber
and tomato salad and grilled pita bread.
- 5 pounds pork back ribs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle pomegranate juice, 100% *
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
* For an alternative to the pomegranate sauce, try a Currant BBQ Sauce by substituting
the reduced pomegranate juice with 1/3 cup red currant jelly and 1 tablespoon cider
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- For a charcoal grill: prepare an indirect medium-hot fire with drip pan in the
- For a gas grill: heat grill to medium and turn off burners directly below where
ribs will go.
- Lightly oil cooking grate. Place ribs over indirect heat (over drip pan or unlit
burner). Close grill hood and cook until ribs are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
(If using charcoal, add more charcoal briquettes to fire, if necessary, to maintain
grill temperature of about 325-350 degrees F.)
- Meanwhile, bring pomegranate juice to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat.
Boil until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup, molasses, soy sauce, scallions and garlic. Bring to a simmer.
Cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- During last 20 minutes of cooking ribs, baste ribs with sauce. Ribs are done
when meat pulls away from the bone.
- Serve with cucumber and tomato salad and grilled pita bread.
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 2 hours
Yield: 6 servings | Serving Size: 4-rib slab
Nutrition Information: Calories: 740 calories Protein: 39 grams Fat: 55 grams
Sodium: 1660 milligrams Cholesterol: 190 milligrams Saturated Fat: 20 grams Carbohydrates:
21 grams Fiber: 0 grams
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com