Chicken Fried Johnsonville® Brats and
Shiner Bock® Country Style Beer Gravy
Hit the road to Shiner Country for an open-faced sandwich with a Southern fried chicken twist to a Johnsonville® Brat smothered with creamy country style beer gravy resting on buttered Texas toast. Yes, brats do live in Shiner Country!
- 1 (19 ounce) package JOHNSONVILLE® Original Brats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 (2.64 ounce) package country gravy mix
- 1/2 cup Shiner Bock® Beer
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 slices Texas toast, buttered and toasted
- Oil for deep frying (vegetable, peanut or canola)
- Split brats lengthwise to butterfly. With casing side up, flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Strip off casing and press to form a rectangular patty.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl add eggs; beat.
- Add panko crumbs to a third shallow bowl. Coat brat patty with flour; dip in egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Repeat with remaining brat patties.
- Prepare gravy mix according to package directions substituting milk and beer for 1 cup water.
- Add oil to large skillet; 1/2-inch deep to almost submerge brat.
- When oil is heated to medium heat (about 350 degrees F) carefully add sausage.
- Fry until golden brown; about 2-3 minutes on one side, turn over to brown other side. Cook until brat reaches internal temp of 160 degrees F.
- Remove brat patties from oil and drain on paper towel lined plate.
- To make each open-face sandwich, layer toast slice and brat; top with gravy.
Yield: 5 servings | Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 6 min
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.