Chorizo (Mexican Sausage)
- 2 pounds coarsely ground lean pork
- 1/4 pound pork fat, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons pasilla chile powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sherry or brandy
- Combine pork meat and fat thoroughly. Add paprika, chile powder,
pepper, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, ginger, oregano, cumin, garlic,
vinegar and sherry. Mix well with hands.
- Place in earthenware crock
or glass jar in a cool place (50 to 60 degrees F) for at least 24
hours, or preferably 2 to 3 days. Freeze for longer storage.
- To serve, crumble and sauté for use in casseroles or form into thin
patties and fry until done.