Polenta and Sausage
- 3 1/2 cups very hot tap water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- Combine water, cornmeal and salt in microwave-safe casserole; stir
well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; vent one corner. Microwave
at full power (100%) for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove plastic wrap. Stir. Cover with paper toweling.
Microwave 10 minutes, stirring twice.
- Pour into greased 10-inch
pie plate; cool. Refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
- Saute sausage, onion and garlic in skillet until sausage is no longer
pink, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook, breaking up tomatoes,
for 14 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Heat broiler. Cut polenta into 4 wedges. Place on broiler pan. Broil
1 minute per side or until lightly browned.
- Place on serving platter.
Pour sauce over and serve.
Cook sliced onions until browned and caramelized; flavor with rosemary.
Place on top of polenta wedges, sprinkle with grated mozzarella
cheese and run under broiler to melt.
Sauté chopped zucchini briefly; add to your favorite spaghetti sauce.