Sauerkraut and Sausage over Mashed Potatoes
This divine dish features smoked gouda mashed potatoes.
Sauerkraut and Sausage
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut into wedges
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (32-ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 pounds smoked sausage, such as Polish (2 rings or 8 links, 5 inches each)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin caraway havarti cheese or Wisconsin caraway jack cheese*, shredded (or 3 1-ounce slices, halved)
* Or plain havarti or jack
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauerkraut and Sausage: In Dutch oven, combine onions, carrots, sauerkraut,
apple juice, caraway seeds and pepper. Top with the sausage.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Mashed Potatoes: In a 3-quart saucepan, boil potatoes until tender (20
to 30 minutes).
- Drain potatoes; add the smoked gouda. Mash the potatoes. Stir in milk, salt,
pepper and parsley.
- Spoon potatoes onto individual plates; top with sauerkraut and portions of sausage.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin