Turkey with Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing
This Hispanic inspired turkey features a spicy cornbread stuffing with chorizo.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound fresh chorizo sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread stuffing crumbs
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14 pound) Butterball® Fresh or Frozen Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Crumble chorizo into large skillet. Cook on medium heat 5 minutes, or until
cooked through, stirring occasionally. Drain; set aside.
- Wipe skillet with paper towels to remove grease.
- Melt butter in same skillet on medium heat. Add onion, celery, red pepper
and jalapeño pepper. Cook and stir for 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in sage and thyme. Set aside.
- Combine dry stuffing, chorizo and vegetable mixture in large bowl. Stir
- Combine chili powder, garlic salt, oregano and black pepper. Set aside.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey. Refrigerate
for another use or discard.
- Drain juices from turkey. Pat turkey dry with paper towels.
- Fill neck cavity with part of the stuffing. Turn wings back to hold neck
skin against back of turkey. Fill body cavity with stuffing.
- Place turkey, breast up, on flat roasting rack in shallow roasting pan.
Spray turkey with cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Place small
pieces of aluminum foil over skin of neck cavity and over stuffing at body cavity
opening to prevent over browning during baking.
- Bake for 4 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F when inserted
in center of stuffing and 180 degrees F when inserted in thickest part of thigh.
Cover breast and tops of drumsticks with aluminum foil after 2 1/2 hours to
prevent over cooking of breast.
14 servings | Prep Time 40 min | Total Time 3 + hr
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 358 Fat 7g Cholesterol 57 Protein 34g
% Daily Value: Saturated Fat 2g 0% Trans Fat 0g 0% Sodium 1463mg 0% Carbohydrates
40g 0% Sugar 10g 0% Iron 0% Fiber 0% Calcium 0%
Recipe and photo credit:Butterball, LLC
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Turkey Recipes