California Wild Duck Stew
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery and leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon mace
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 4 wild ducks, plucked, drawn and cut into serving pieces
- 20 small new potatoes
- Sauté mushrooms and tomatoes in 3 tablespoons butter for 3 minutes.
- Combine with carrot, green pepper, onion, celery, garlic, olives, tomato
paste, olive oil, wine, Worcestershire, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, mace, thyme,
bay leaf, salt and pepper to make a marinade.
- Add duck pieces and marinate overnight or for at least 10 hours.
- Simmer duck in marinade 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Boil potatoes in salted water for approximately 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add to stew just before serving.