Cornmeal-Fried Florida Alligator Bites
with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1 pound Florida alligator nuggets (defrosted or fresh)
- 4 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups buttermilk
Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 6 tablespoons Florida honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Cornmeal-Fried Florida Alligator Bites: Preheat fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Place cornmeal and buttermilk in separate bowls.
- Dip each alligator nugget into the cornmeal, then into the buttermilk. Let
the buttermilk drain off slightly, then dip the buttermilk-coated nugget back
into the cornmeal. Lightly shake off any excess cornmeal.
- Place the coated nuggets into the fryer basket. Make sure not to overcrowd
your fryer with too many nuggets.
- Repeat the process until all the alligator nuggets are coated.
- Cook the nuggets in the fryer for 2 to 3 minutes until they float and the
meat is completely cooked. Take care not to overcook the alligator meat as it
can become too chewy.
- Let the nuggets drain in the fryer basket, then transfer them to a plate
lined with a paper towel.
- Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce: In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients. Stir
to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Reprinted with permission from
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer