Dry Rub for Game Birds
This gives extra flavor to dove, quail, pheasant, wild turkey, and other fowl.
Adjust ingredients to your own taste or to complement what you're cooking.
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice, crushed in a mortarand pestle
or spice mill
- 1 tablespoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 8 juniper berries, crushed in a mortar and pestle or
- Stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Store the rub in a tightly closed jar.
Makes about 1/2 cup.
It keeps indefinitely but loses its potency over time.