French Rabbit Stew (Lapin a la Cocotte)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 rabbit, cut up
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cold water
- Bouquet garni (3 sprigs parsley, pinch of thyme, 2 large garlic cloves)
- Several baby carrots, cooked
- 3 tablespoons red wine, preferably port or Madeira (optional)
- Put into heavy skillet 2 rounded tablespoons clarified butter and melt over
- Add 3 or 4 of the shallots and the pieces of rabbit. Do not flour rabbit.
- Cook rabbit until it is a golden color, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and set aside along with juice.
- Add 1 to 3 more rounded tablespoons clarified butter; melt, then add 3 tablespoons
flour. Make a paste, add 1 cup cold water; stir until well blended and thick.
Add bouquet garni. Add pieces of rabbit with juice. Taste and season. Add more
shallots, if desired, salt and pepper. Add cooked baby carrots. Add enough tepid
water to cover and red wine. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer about 1 hour.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Wild Game Recipes