Louisiana Alligator Creole Stew
- 4 pounds Louisiana alligator, 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups onions, medium dice
- 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers, medium dice
- 1 cup celery, medium dice
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 48 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups potatoes, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon. cayenne
- 2 teaspoons original Tabasco® brand pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 pound butter
- 2 cups green onions, chopped
- 2 French baguettes, sliced and toasted
- Heat canola oil in an 8-quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, green peppers and celery.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender.
- Add white wine, chicken stock, canned tomatoes, potatoes, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, cayenne, Tabasco® and Worcestershire. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Louisiana alligator to stew. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add butter and green onions to stew and stir until melted.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with sliced toasted French bread.
Cooking/Prep time: 1 hr | Serves 12
Recipe and photo used with permission from: louisianaseafood.com
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.