Venison Pot Roast
- 1 (3 pound) venison chuck roast
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup unrefined cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 garlic cloves,
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F, unless you plan to use a slow cooker.
- Rub the roast with a generous coating of salt and pepper, and dredge it
in the flour.
- Warm oil over medium-high heat, and brown the roast quickly.
- Place the roast in a Dutch oven or heavy baking dish, or in a slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients, pouring tomatoes in last.
- Bake the meat for 4 to 5 hours in the oven or for 12 to 13 hours in the slow cooker.
The pot roast will be very tender if it has cooked long enough.
If you want to make this into a one-dish meal, add large chunks of carrots and
potatoes about two-thirds of the way through the cooking time.