- Venison (up to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 cup wine, dry red
- 1 teaspoon mixed thyme, basil, marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 onion, large
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse red pepper
- 3 carrots, scraped/quartered
- 3 potatoes, scraped/quartered
- Cut venison into bite-size pieces and roll in flour. Brown in bacon fat,
wine, herbs, onions, salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer two hours.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Cover and simmer 1 hour, adding more hot water
- When meat is tender and vegetables done, serve hot with French bread.