U.S. Navy Minced Beef on Toast
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 tablespoons flour, approximate
- Cooking oil, as needed
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 5 1/2 ounces tomato juice
- 2 cups hot water, approximate
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- Sugar, to taste
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Crumble the ground beef into a skillet and brown with the onions. If beef is
very lean, add a tablespoon or two of cooking oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add flour, a tablespoon at a time, stirring and cooking each spoonful, before adding
the next. The flour must be cooked to preclude a starchy taste throughout. Add enough
flour to absorb the most of the oil.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the tomato juice, followed by the water.
- Allow to simmer on low heat to thicken.
- Adjust consistency as necessary.
Yield: 10 servings
This recipe should be your basic meat sauce in a gravy of medium thickness. Add
nutmeg, about 1/2 teaspoons, and perhaps sugar, 1/2 teaspoons, to adjust taste.
In the NAVY this is served over toast at breakfast. It's also great on hot
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Military Recipes