Bloody Mary Mix
- 20 large, vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and cut in wedges (no need to peel)
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium size sweet green or red pepper, cored, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely grated horseradish or 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried red chile peppers or 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid hot red pepper seasoning
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Simmer all ingredients, covered, in a large heavy enamel or stainless
steel kettle over moderate heat about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until tomatoes have cooked down to juice.
- Put mixture through a
food mill or press through a fine sieve, forcing out as much juice
- Return strained juice to kettle and bring to a boil. Pour into 4
(1-quart) hot canning jars, filling each to within 1 inch of top.
- Wipe rims and seal.
- Process for 30 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.
Posted by Mae at Recipe Goldmine 8/6/2001, 5:38 am.
Source: Star Tribune