- 3 1/3 cups shortening
- 5 tablespoons double-acting baking powder
- 7 2/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 11 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Place shortening at room temperature in a large mixing bowl. Cream
1/2 minute with mixer at medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of
bowl. Cream another 1/2 minute at same speed.
- Add 4 cups sugar, 1 cup at a time. After each addition, cream 1
minute at medium speed.
- Sift together 3 times, flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 2/3 cups
- Sift last time into a clean mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups of sifted ingredients to shortening-sugar. Blend 1/2
minute at medium speed.
- Turn mixture into dry ingredients. Blend
until it looks like cornmeal. Be sure all ingredients are well blended.
- To Store Mix: Measure mix into 6 equal parts. Spoon it lightly into measuring
cup. Each part should be 3 1/2 cups. Place each part into a quart
glass jar or zip-type plastic bags. Cover and store in a cool, dark
place; or place in a metal can, cover, and store in a cool place.
When stored properly, mix stays fresh for up to a month. For longer
shelf-life, store in the freezer.
- 3 1/2 cups cake mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
Place mix into a 2-quart bowl. Make a well in center of mix. Add
eggs, vanilla extract and all the milk to the mixture. Beat mixture
1 minute with electric mixer at low speed. Scrape sides and bottom
of bowl to be sure all ingredients are mixed. Beat 2 minutes longer
at same speed. Batter should be smooth and free of lumps.
Pour into desired pans and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to
40 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back up when pressed lightly
Use 3 medium egg whites instead of whole eggs.
Add to the mix for cake:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
Add 1 teaspoon grated orange rind to mix and use 1/2 teaspoon lemon
extract in place of vanilla extract.
Add 2 extra tablespoons of milk. Stir liquid ingredients into mix
until just blended. Add 2 squares of melted chocolate and blend
into mixture. Continue mixing batter as directed.
Yield: 1 (8-inch) square cake |
2 (8-inch) round layer cake pans
1 (10 x 6 1/2 x 2-inch) loaf cake
|1 (12 x 8-inch) sheet cake
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Mix Recipes