Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar,
lemon rind, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in
center of the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, 1/2 cup honey, butter
and egg. Add to the well in the flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 19 minutes or until
muffins spring back when touched lightly in the center. Remove from the oven.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons confectioners'
sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons honey and lemon juice. Brush the glaze over tops
of the muffins and place on a wire rack.
Yield: 1 dozen