This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chocolate Mint Layer Cake
- 1 cup Nestles mint chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
Chocolate Mint Frosting
- 1/2 cup Nestles mint-chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Chocolate Leaves
- Chocolate Curls
- Chocolate Gratings
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Cake: In a small saucepan, combine mint-chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of the water.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture
is smooth; Cool for 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; set
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and butter; beat until creamy. Add
eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in chocolate mixture.
Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with remaining 1 cup of water. Pour
into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cakes test done. Cool completely on
- Fill and frost with Chocolate Mint Frosting. Garnish as desired.
- Chocolate Mint Frosting: Combine over hot (not boiling) water, the mint-chocolate
chips and butter; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in
vanilla extract and salt. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in the confectioners'
sugar alternately with milk; beat until smooth. (if necessary add more milk
until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnishes: Use chocolate curls and grated chocolate on top of the cake. Form a ring
of grated chocolate pieces around the outside edge and use the curls in the
- To make chocolate leaves, select several small leaves, wash and dry them
and paint one side of them with melted chocolate. Chill until firm and peel
the leaf off the chilled chocolate. Use as garnish.