Mother's Day Recipes
Key Lime Mini Custard Cakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated Key lime peel
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fresh Key lime juice
- 1 cup milk
- Confectioners' sugar
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnishing (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter six (6 ounce) custard cups with 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, then place in a large roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, the sugar and lime peel using an electric mixer. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after the addition of each. Beat in the flour, then the lime juice. Gradually mix in milk (mixture will be thin and may look curdled).
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the meringue into the yolk mixture in 3 additions. (The mixture will be runny; do not over-mix.) Divide the pudding-cake mixture among the prepared custard cups. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of dishes.
- Bake until puffed and lightly firm to touch, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Custard Cakes with confectioners' sugar and serve warm, garnished with fresh mint sprigs if desired.