Mango-Strawberry Sorbet Torte
Delight in a frosty dessert of layered cake and sorbets enrobed in whipped cream
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 1 pint (2 cups) mango sorbet, softened
- 1 pint (2 cups) strawberry sorbet, softened
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Garnish, if desired
- Lime peel twists
- Fresh strawberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray
bottom only of 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan with baking spray with flour. Line with
waxed paper; spray waxed paper.
- In large bowl, make cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil and egg
whites. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cooling rack; remove waxed paper. Cool completely, about
- Cut cake crosswise into 3 equal sections. On long serving platter, place
1 section, rounded side down. Spread mango sorbet evenly over top. Place another
cake section onto the sorbet; press down. Spread with strawberry sorbet. Top
with remaining cake section; press down. Cover lightly; freeze for about 2 hours
or until firm.
- In large bowl, beat frosting ingredients with electric mixer on high speed
until stiff peaks form. Frost sides and top of torte.
- Freeze about 1 hour or until firm.
- Just before serving, garnish top with lime peel and strawberries. To serve,
let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Cut torte in half lengthwise, then
cut crosswise 7 times to make a total of 16 slices.
Yield: 16 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Make cake batter following High Altitude directions
on box. Bake 20 to 30 minutes.
Do-Ahead: You can store this make-ahead dessert in your freezer, tightly covered,
for up to 3 weeks.
Special Touch: For white chocolate-dipped strawberries, melt 4 ounces chopped
vanilla candy coating and mix with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil. Dip strawberries into
coating, and place on waxed paper to set.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 330 (Calories from Fat 130); Total
Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 240mg; Total
Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 32g); Protein 3g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker/© 2008 ®/TM General Mills.