Orange Coconut Almond Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) Love'n Bake ™ Almond Paste, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange or tangerine rind
- 3 large eggs room temperature
cup whole milk
- 1 cup dried unsweetened large flake
coconut or other unsweetened coconut
Easy Orange Buttercream
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups
(3 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk, optional
- How to Prepare Cake: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8-inch round
cake pans. Line them with parchment paper then grease the paper. Set aside.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a flat paddle until smooth
and soft, about 2 minutes. Add the Love'n Bake™ Almond Paste in pieces
and blend for one minute. Scrape the bowl then gradually add the sugar then
beat on medium speed until light about three minutes. Scrape the bowl then stir
in the vanilla and almond extracts and rind. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
Scrape the bowl then add the flour alternating with the milk in three additions.
Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake until a cake tester (or wooden pick) inserted into the center of the
cake comes out clean. A few crumbs may cling to the tester.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then invert and cool completely before
filling and frosting.
- Level each cake if necessary. Fill the cake with about one third of the
frosting then coat with the remaining frosting. Holding the cake in one hand
over a clean baking sheet, press the coconut into the sides of the cake. Any
coconut that has fallen onto the tray can be used to evenly coat the cake.
- This cake tastes best when served at room temperature. If you are not serving
the cake immediately, store it in the refrigerator then remove it about one
hour before serving.
- Frosting: Place the orange juice into a small saucepan. Boil over medium
high heat and cook until reduced to 1/3 cup and slightly thickened. Add the
orange zest and set aside. Cool completely before using.
- Beat the butter in a bowl fitted with the paddle until smooth and fluffy,
about 4 minutes. Scrape the bowl. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice
and extract, if using. Beat on low speed until the mixture is moistened. Scrape
the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture is light and
creamy. Add the cream if using.
Recipe reprinted with permission from
Love 'n Bake - ingredients from American Almond Products.