Strawberry Pinwheel Cake
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar
- l cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons prepared lemon curd, at room temperature*
- 1 pint basket (about
3 1/4 cups) California strawberries, stemmed and coarsely
- Powdered sugar
- 1 pint basket (about 3 1/4 cups)
- To make Cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan
with aluminum foil; coat with vegetable cooking spray.
- In large mixer bowl beat yolks and eggs at high speed about 5 minutes until
thick and lemon-colored. Continuing at high speed, gradually beat in granulated
sugar until mixture is pale and thick. Gently fold in dry ingredients except
powdered sugar to blend thoroughly. Fold in water, oil and vanilla extract.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake in center of oven about 10 minutes
until springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile, coat a clean dish towel with powdered sugar. Invert hot cake
onto towel close to one long edge. Gently peel off foil. Trim 1/2 inch off each
short side of cake. Starting from long side, tightly roll cake and towel. Set
on rack to cool completely.
- To make Strawberry Filling: In mixer bowl whip cream to form soft peaks.
Beat in sugar to form stiff peaks. Fold in lemon curd to blend thoroughly. Mix
in chopped strawberries. Gently unroll cake. Spread strawberry mixture evenly
on cake and re-roll. Place seam-side-down. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into
8 (about I 3/4-inch) equal slices. Place each slice on a serving plate. Garnish
with whole and halved strawberries.
Makes 8 servings.
* Lemon curd can be found in the jam and jelly or gourmet section of most supermarkets.
Reprinted with permission from
the California Strawberry Commission.