Aunt Jemima Maple Syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Combine the first four ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally,
until the mixture comes to a full boil. Let it boil for 7 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the syrup cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the maple flavoring and stir.
- When completely cool, transfer the syrup to a covered plastic or glass container.
Makes 1 quart.
For syrup with a butter flavor, add 3 tablespoons of butter to the mixture
before heating. For a lighter syrup, use a sugar substitute instead of the granulated
sugar. The absence of natural maple syrup in this recipe is not unusual. In fact,
there is no real maple syrup in any Aunt Jemima syrups.