Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked (do not use instant oatmeal in this recipe)
- 1 cup pureed fully ripe banana
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon peanut or corn oil
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, stirred and spooned into measuring cup
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Lightly oil 12 three-inch muffin cups. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together oatmeal, banana, milk, egg and oil; set aside.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and
nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; stir in
banana mixture just until well combined. Do not over-beat. Pour
into prepared muffin cups. Each cup should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 15 minutes before removing from pans.
Yield: 12 muffins