Nutella Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted pecans*, finely ground
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until almost white in color (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add Nutella and mix on low speed to incorporate. Stir in flour and pecans, mixing just to blend. (Do not over mix.)
- Roll 1 tablespoon dough in hands, forming a small football-like shape. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spreading each dough shape at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cookies cool for about 5 minutes.
- Put confectioners' sugar in baking pan or on large plate. While cookies are still warm, roll in sugar. (Sugar will begin to melt slightly and form sweet coating.) Place cookies on wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once completely cooled, store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
* To toast the pecans: Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread pecans on baking sheet and toast for 5 to 10 minutes, or until "toasting"
aroma emanates from oven. Allow nuts to cool completely before handling. Place pecans in food processor fitted with metal blade and pulse until finely ground. Set aside.
To save time, make, shape and freeze dough in advance. After making dough rounds, freeze on tray for 15 minutes. Transfer into resealable bag and place back in freezer, taking dough out to defrost and bake as needed.