Nutella Pinwheel Cookies
Yield: about 30 cookies
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Mix the butter and sugar together until creamy. Mix in egg yolk and vanilla extract until well combined. Stir in the sifted flour. Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes to help firm it up for rolling later.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread Nutella on top of dough, leaving on finger width around all the edges. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts. Roll dough into a log and return to refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut slices from dough and place on an ungreased baking sheet.*
- Bake for 10 minutes. If you have cut thicker rounds, you will need to bake them longer. Watch for the edges to begin to color and remove from oven.
- Cool for one minute on pan and transfer to cooling rack.
* Use plain dental floss to cut the cookies so that the pinwheel design is not ruined.