Nutella Spiced Sugar Cookies
Yield: 24 cookies
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 12 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar with a hand mixer on high speed for two minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat for one minute. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients on low speed just until combined. Divide the dough in half and press each piece into a disk.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about one hour.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out each piece on wax paper to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out desired shapes (bats, pumpkins, headstones) and bake on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Make the Glaze: Heat Nutella, milk and confectioners' sugar in a small pot over low heat until combined and slightly warm. Spread each cookie with the glaze and decorate as desired with jimmies, sprinkles, mini chips or Halloween candy.
- Allow to set on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
These cookies can be baked ahead of time and frozen, unglazed, for up to 6 weeks, if stored in an airtight container.
Per serving: Calories: 210; Protein: 2g; Carbohydrates: 22g; Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 100mg
Source: used with permission of ARA Content, ARAcontent.com