Butter Rum Cashews
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup rum
- 2 cups cashews, whole and unsalted
- 2 ounces butter
- Generously oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Bring the sugar and rum to boil in a saucepan. Cook for 3 minutes, until candy
thermometer reads 234 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and add the cashews, stirring constantly to coat with syrup.
The sugar will become white and grainy after about 30 seconds.
- Return saucepan to heat and re-melt sugar, adding a few drops of water if needed.
Watch carefully - do not burn.
- When the syrup has turned a rich caramel color, about 2 minutes, and the nuts
sound hollow at the tap of a spoon, remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking sheet, spreading out in one layer, separating
any pieces that are stuck together.
- Cool completely.
- Store airtight for 2 weeks.
Yield: 2 cups