Chipotle Honey Glazed Nuts
- 2 dried chipotle chiles
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- 3 cups assorted nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, pine, macadamia, pecans, pistachios, walnuts)
- Spread shelled nuts (except macadamias) in a single layer on a baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven, stirring often, until golden. Allow 5 to 7
minutes for pine nuts; 8 to 10 minutes for pecans, pistachios, and walnuts;
about 15 minutes for almonds and hazelnuts. Macadamias need lower heat because
they scorch very easily; roast them at 300 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Watch
nuts carefully since they brown quickly. For more toasted flavor, bake nuts
to a darker color.
- Remove and discard chile stems. Whirl chiles in a blender or food processor
until finely ground.
- In a bowl, mix ground chiles, honey, sugar, oil, salt and cayenne.
- Add nuts and stir until coated with seasonings.
- Pour nuts onto oiled 15 x 10-inch pan; shake into 1 layer.
- Bake in a 300 degrees F oven, stirring often, until golden brown (under skins,
if not blanched) and honey mixture hardens, 25 to 30 minutes. If necessary,
push nuts apart; cool in pan.
- Serve, or store up to 3 days.
Yield: 3 cups
Source: Sunset magazine - November 1996
To blanch: Remove shells. Immerse nuts in rapidly boiling water until the skins
shrivel and loosen, 15 to 20 seconds. Drain; set aside to cool. The skin should
slip off easily when rubbed or pinched off.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.