Crunchy Vanilla Hazelnuts
- 6 cups hazelnuts (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F, with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on two rimmed baking sheets. Toast in
oven, stirring halfway through, until fragrant and skins begin to crack, about
- Remove from oven (leave oven on).
- While nuts are still hot, place in a kitchen towel; rub vigorously to remove
skins. Let cool.
- Scrape vanilla seeds into a small bowl.
- Stir in sugar; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer until frothy.
- Pour in sugar mixture; whisk until thick and foamy.
- Whisk in liqueur; fold in nuts.
- Spread mixture on two baking sheets lined with nonstick Silpat baking mats.
- Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until nuts are golden, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to another baking sheet.
- Let cool for 6 hours or overnight.
Makes about 6 cups.
Espresso Hazelnuts: Fold 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly ground espresso
beans into the egg white mixture, just before adding hazelnuts.
Nuts can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to five days.