Garlic-Hot Pepper Almonds
These peppery toasted almonds can be prepared up to two weeks ahead and stored
in an airtight container.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 3 cups whole blanched almonds
- Coarse sea salt
- In a large skillet over moderate heat, heat olive oil and butter.
- When butter foams, add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add pepper flakes and stir an additional 15 seconds.
- Add almonds and stir continuously until nuts are well coated and lightly toasted.
- Add salt to taste.
- Drain nuts on paper towels and let cool.
- Serve at room temperature.
Makes 3 cups or 12 servings.
Per serving (per 1/4 cup): 282 calories; 24.3 g fat (3.3 g saturated fat;
78 percent calories from fat); 7.7 g carbohydrates; 5 mg cholesterol; 87 mg sodium;
8.4 g protein; 4.9 g fiber