- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups whole hazelnuts, toasted* (about 11 ounces)
- In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, sour cream and
coffee. Cook and stir until the mixture reaches 236 degrees F (softball stage)
on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and toasted hazelnuts. Gently stir
until all the nuts are coated.
- Pour mixture onto a large, buttered shallow pan or platter. With 2 forks,
separate the nuts.
- Cool until coating sets.
- Store in airtight container.
Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.
* To toast hazelnuts, spread the shelled nuts in a shallow pan and roast in a
275 degrees F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the skins crack. To remove skins,
rub warm nuts with a rough cloth.