Penuche Covered Nuts
- 1 box dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon light Karo syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups nut halves*
- Cook sugars, milk, syrup and salt to soft ball stage.
- Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla extract.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Beat until creamy and mixture thickens.
- Add nuts and stir.
- Pour onto wax paper and separate into pieces.
* Less nuts may be added and candy poured into pan and cut into squares.