Spicy Party Nuts
- 1 1/2 cups whole natural almonds
- 1 1/2 cups blanched slivered almonds
tablespoons bottled teriyaki marinade and sauce
- 1 egg white, beaten but not stiff
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon
- 2 1/2 cups seedless or golden raisins
- Toast almonds on an ungreased large baking sheet with rim in a 350 degree
F oven for 10 minutes, without stirring, or until the slivered almonds are golden
- Cool in pan on wire rack. This step is important to develop the almonds'
flavor and golden color.
- Meanwhile, reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
- Combine the bottled teriyaki sauce, egg white, sugar, red pepper and onion
powder in a large bowl.
- Stir in almonds and peanuts until evenly coated.
- Add oil and toss nuts to coat; turn out onto same baking pan with rim, spreading
- Bake 30 minutes in a slow oven, 275 degrees F, stirring and turning nuts
over every 10 minutes.
- Stir nuts and spread in a single layer after baking; cool completely in
pan on wire rack.
- Stir in raisins.
- Store in a tightly covered container.
Yield: 8 cups