Apple Bottom Spice Cake
- 3-4 firm, red baking apples such as Jonathan (about 3 cups sliced)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla cook and serve pudding and pie filling (not instant)
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Powdered sugar
- Thawed, frozen whipped topping or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray rectangular pan with oil.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Cut into small pieces using a apple wedger.
- In large bowl, combine apples, raisins, water and pudding mix; mix well.
Microwave on HIGH 4 minutes or until hot; mix well.
- Spread apple filling evenly over bottom of baker.
- In bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions; whisk in molasses
and spice blend.
- Pour batter over apple filling, spreading evenly. Chop walnuts; sprinkle
evenly over batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out
- Remove to cooling rack. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle top of cake with powdered sugar.
- Garnish with whipped topping or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Yield: 15 servings or 24 sample servings
Cook's Tip: Pumpkin pie spice can be substituted for the Cinnamon Plus (TM) Spice
Blend, if desired.
Nutrients per serving: Calories 300, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g,
Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 49 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 280 mg, Fiber 1g
Recipe credit: Pampered Chef
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.