Calzone with Four Cheeses, Eggplant and Basil
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (or more) bread flour
Assembly and Baking
- 1 1/2 cups grated Fontina cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 (3.5-ounce) log soft mild goat cheese (such as Montrachet), crumbled
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3/4 ounce)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Fresh basil sprigs
- Filling: Combine oil and garlic in small bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Place
eggplant in colander. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 30 minutes.
- Drain eggplant and pat dry. Heat half of garlic-oil mixture in heavy large
skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
Increase heat to high. Add vinegar and cook until almost no liquid remains in
skillet, about 1 minute. Season to taste with pepper. Transfer to large bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon garlic-oil mixture in heavy small skillet over medium heat.
Add pine nuts and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes. Add to eggplant. (Can
be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate remaining garlic-oil mixture
and eggplant mixture separately. Bring to room temperature before using.)
- Dough: Place 1/4 cup warm water in bowl of heavy-duty mixer; sprinkle yeast
over and stir to dissolve. Let stand 10 minutes. Add remaining 3/4 cup water,
oil, salt and then 3 cups flour; stir to combine. Attach dough hook to mixer
and beat until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, about 2 minutes. Turn out
dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding
more flour if sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil large bowl. Add dough, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap
and let rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
While dough rises, begin preparation for assembly and baking.
- Assembly and Baking: Position rack in lowest third of oven. Place baking
stone, baking tiles or heavy large rimless baking sheet on rack in oven. Heat
oven to 450 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Mix cheeses together in bowl.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 4 pieces. Roll out 1 dough piece on lightly
floured surface to 8-inch round. Brush dough with some of garlic-oil mixture,
leaving 1-inch border. Spread 1/4 of cheese mixture over half of dough, leaving
1-inch border. Cover cheese with 1/4 of eggplant mixture, 1/4 of bell pepper
and 1/4 of sliced basil leaves. Brush edges of dough with water. Fold dough
in half, covering filling but allowing bottom edge of dough to show. Fold bottom
edge over top edge and crimp to seal. Repeat with remaining dough, garlic-oil
mixture, cheese mixture, eggplant mixture, bell pepper and sliced basil leaves,
forming total of 4 calzones. Cover calzones and let stand 15 minutes.
- Using large metal spatula, transfer calzones to stone or preheated baking
sheet in oven. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 12 minutes. Transfer
calzones to platter. Garnish with basil sprigs and serve.
Recipe credit: Pampered Chef
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.