This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Harvest Apple Skillet Cake
- 2 oranges
- 5 small, firm, red baking apples, such as Jonathan (1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Pantry Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend, divided
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Thawed, frozen whipped topping (optional)
- Additional pecan halves (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using Lemon Zester/Scorer, zest one orange using short strokes; set aside.
- Score long strips from remaining orange and form into curls for garnish;
set aside. Using Utility Knife, cut one slice from the center of the scored
orange; set aside. Juice oranges to measure 1/4 cup juice; set aside.
- Using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer, core and slice apples, leaving peel on.
Slice each apple in half vertically; do not separate slices. Melt butter in
Family Skillet over medium heat, tilting Skillet to coat bottom.
- Combine sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of the Spice Blend in Flour/Sugar Shaker.
Sprinkle over butter in bottom of Skillet. Place reserved orange slice in center
of Skillet. Arrange 5 apple halves, skin side down, in a circular pattern around
orange slice; arrange remaining halves around first circle of apples. Cook over
medium heat 5 minutes or until apples are slightly softened. Using Bamboo Spoon,
gently press down and fan out apple slices to cover bottom of Skillet.
- Coarsely chop pecans using Food Chopper. Combine pecans, cake mix and remaining
Spice Blend in Classic Batter Bowl. Add reserved orange juice and zest, water,
oil and eggs; beat until smooth using Stainless Steel Whisk. Gently pour batter
over apples in Skillet, spreading evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted in center
comes out clean.
- Using Oven Mitts, carefully remove to Nonstick Cooling Rack. Loosen edges
of cake with Skinny Scraper and carefully invert cake onto heat-proof serving
- Garnish with whipped topping, orange curls and pecan halves, if desired.
- Serve using Slice 'N Serve.
Yield: 12 servings or 24 sample servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 340, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol
60 mg, Carbohydrate 47 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 320 mg, Fiber 2 g
Cook's Tip: To unmold cake onto a Round Baking Stone, place a 15-inch circle
of Parchment Paper over cake before inverting. This will protect both the Skillet
and the Baking Stone from becoming scratched.
Recipe credit: Pampered Chef