This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Pepperoni Pizza Twist
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package pepperoni slices, diced
- 1 (3.25 ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (2 ounce) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 (11 ounce) packages refrigerated French bread dough
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce, warmed (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dice pepperoni. Chop olives. Snip parsley using kitchen shears.
- In a bowl, combine pepperoni, olives, parsley, mozzarella cheese, flour
and garlic. Mix well.
- Place bread dough, seams sides up, on smooth side of a cutting board. Using
a serrated bread knife, slice each loaf lengthwise, end to end, cutting halfway
through to center of loaf. Spread open flat. Lightly sprinkle additional flour
- Using roller, roll dough crosswise to a 4-inch width, creating a well down
center of each loaf. Spoon half of the pepperoni mixture down center of each
loaf. Gather up edges over filling, pinching to seal.
- Place loaves, seam sides down, in an x pattern on a rectangular baking stone
or baking sheet. Crisscross ends of dough to form a large figure 8, keeping
ends of dough 1 inch from edge of stone and leaving two 11/2 inch openings in
center of twist.
- Separate egg over a bowl; discard yolk. Beat egg white and seasoning mix;
lightly brush over dough with pastry brush. Using serrated bread knife, cut
a 3-inch slit in each of the top sections of the twist to reveal filling.
- Grate Parmesan cheese over loaf.
- Bake 30 to 32 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Remove to cooling rack and cool 10 minutes.
- Cut into 16 slices.
- Serve with warm pizza sauce, if desired.
Yield: 16 servings
Recipe credit: Pampered Chef