Sicilian Roast Chicken
Source: The Pampered Chef
- 1 (6-7 pound) roasting chicken
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black
- pepper or red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic
- Additional balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Tie ends of legs together with cotton
string. Lift wing tips up toward neck then tuck under back of chicken.
- In large bowl, combine vinegar, water, oregano, basil, salt, black pepper
and garlic. Place chicken in marinade; turn to coat completely. Place chicken,
breast side up, in Deep Dish Baker. Pour remaining marinade over chicken.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Begin basting chicken with pan juices every 15 minutes
until Pocket Thermometer registers 180 degrees F in meaty part of thigh and
juices run clear (approximately 1 hour, 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.
- Carefully place chicken on carving platter. Pour pan juices into small bowl;
skim fat from surface. If desired, add 1-2 teaspoons of additional vinegar to
pan juices. Carve chicken; serve using Stainless Serving Fork.
- Serve with pan juices, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 470, Total Fat 28 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol
155 mg, Carbohydrates 4 g, Protein 49 g, Sodium 450 mg, Fiber 0 g