3-Cheese Chicken Cacciatore Manicotti
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 box (8 ounces) manicotti
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes (approximately 2 tomatoes)
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat, part-skim, low-moisture Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup part-skim Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) low-sodium, fat free marinara sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray;
- Cook manicotti 9 minutes according to package directions; rinse with cold water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, tomato, green pepper
and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring often, or until vegetables are softened.
- In a large bowl, mix vegetables, chicken, Mozzarella, Ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup Parmesan,
basil, salt and pepper until mixed.
- Using a small spoon, fill each manicotti with
about 1/2 cup mixture.
- Pour 1/2 of the marinara sauce into prepared baking pan.
- Arrange filled manicotti
over sauce and top with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until manicotti is heated through and sauce
Makes 7 servings | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 45 min
Yield: 2 pieces manicotti
pasta plus 2/3 cup filling, per serving
Nutritional Facts Calories: 410 Total Fat: 11 g Saturated Fat: 6 g Cholesterol:
95 mg Sodium: 770 mg Calcium: 50% Protein: 33 g Carbohydrates: 45 g Dietary Fiber:
Recipe created by Chef Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse, Philadelphia, on behalf
of 3-Every-Day™ of Dairy.
Recipe and photo credit: National Dairy Council.