Baked Tomato Macaroni
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni, mostaccioli, or penne
- 1 cup good olive oil
- 9 to 12 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red chile pepper
- 1/4 cup dried basil, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 3 (1 pound 12 ounce) cans tomatoes
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place dry pasta in a large bowl. Pour all of the olive oil over, toss well, and
let sit for 1 hour.
- Pour pasta into a strainer and drain off excess oil into a deep non-aluminum
saucepan. Add the garlic, onion, sugar, chile peppers, basil and oregano. Heat
over moderate heat until the oil gets very hot, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands or a food processor fitted with the metal
blade and add them and their juice to the saucepan.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the macaroni in a large non-aluminum roasting pan; pour room-temperature
sauce over and stir well.
- Bake uncovered in the center of the oven for 40 minutes,
turning over with a spatula every 10 minutes, to ensure that all the pasta cooks
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 8 main dish servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pasta Recipes