Cafeteria-Style Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until tender but still
firm, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over moderate
heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the powdered mustard, Worcestershire sauce,
salt and hot pepper sauce. Set the seasoned milk aside.
- Transfer the macaroni to a medium bowl. Add 11/2 tablespoons of the butter and
the egg and mix well. Stir in 3 cups of the Cheddar cheese. Spread the macaroni
evenly in the buttered baking dish. Pour the seasoned milk over the macaroni and
sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat.
Stir in the bread crumbs until well-coated. Scatter the buttered crumbs evenly over
the macaroni and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the macaroni is bubbling and lightly colored.
- Transfer to the broiler and broil about 6 inches from the heat until the bread crumbs are
golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.