California Mac 'n' Cheese with Bacon
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons Real California butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, or 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups Real California whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups Real California ricotta fresca, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Real California white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Real California sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse with hot water,
and set aside.
- Heat an oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with
butter and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the scallions and
garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir until well blended.
Add the milk and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
1 cup of the ricotta and 1/4 cup of each of the Cheddar cheeses, stirring until
the cheeses melt. Add the macaroni and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the macaroni mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with small spoonsful
of the remaining 1/4 cup of ricotta and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of each
of the Cheddar cheeses. Top with the crumbled bacon and bake until lightly browned
and bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Look for ricotta fresca in the specialty cheese department. If you can’t
find it, substitute fresh mozzarella.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
California Milk Advisory Board
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.