Caprese Macaroni and Cheese
An easy to prepare caprese mac and cheese recipe is made entirely in the oven and topped with tomatoes, basil pesto and crispy crumbs.
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray (or try PAM® Organic Olive Oil)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, drained (or try Hunt's® Organic)
- 1/3 cup refrigerated basil pesto
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 4 ounces (1 cup) fontina cheese, shredded
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch or shallow 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together drained tomatoes and pesto in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine uncooked macaroni, fontina cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese in large bowl. Place in dish in an even layer.
- Microwave 4 tablespoons butter in large microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Whisk in milk, flour, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over macaroni mixture. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over macaroni.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil; bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave remaining 2 tablespoons butter in small microwave-safe bowl on HIGH 20 seconds or until melted. Stir in bread crumbs. Top macaroni with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and bread crumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes more or until golden brown on top.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 10 servings | Prep: 20 min
Nutrition Information: 463 calories, 48g Carbs
% Daily Value Calcium 409 mg 41% Carbohydrate 48 g 16% Cholesterol 52 mg 17% Total Fat 22 g 35% Iron 2 mg 11% Calories 463 kcal 23% Sodium 656 mg 27% Protein 19 g 38% Saturated Fat 11 g 56% Sugars 8 g 1% Dietary Fiber 2 g 8% Vitamin C 4 mg 7% Vitamin A 729 iu 15%
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Conagra Brands, Inc.
>> PASTA RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.